|THE ROYAL DUBLIN GOLF
CLUB, CO. DUBLIN.
DESIGNER: Harry Colt
YARDAGE: 6,855 yards
|Ideally located along the coast
road at Dollymount, one finds the Royal Dublin Golf Club. When Fletcher Christian and his
mutinous mates consigned Captain William Bligh to the mercy of the ocean from the Bounty
in 1789, they had little or no regard for his prospects of survival. Luckily, he did
survive, otherwise there may never have been a Royal Dublin Golf Club, for the bold
Captain Bligh had a hand in the creation of the land on which the links stands.
He was invited to make suggestions on how to provide shipping with a safe, straight and deep approach on the River Liffey into Dublin City. The information he submitted in 1800 was helpful when the proposal for breakwater extending from Dollymount was implemented. The silting up that followed the building of what is known as the Bull Wall, together with nature, saw to it that the sandbank from which the island grew produced a rich crop of bent and red fescue that provides the ideal base for the greens and fairways of the Royal Dublin Golf Club.
The links is 6,855 yards in length and is laid out in the old traditional links style resembling St. Andrews. Fine fescue grasses provide an ideal basis for greens and fairways and a wandering wind adds that extra hazard. Fine bunkers, close lies, superb greens and subtle trappings are all features of Royal Dublin.
EUROPEAN THE ISLAND LAHINCH OLD HEAD
PORTMARNOCK GOLF CLUB PORTMARNOCK GOLF LINKS PORTSTEWART ROSSES POINT ROYAL COUNTY DOWN ROYAL PORTRUSH TRALEE WATERVILLE
BAY K CLUB
MALONE MOUNT JULIET RATHSALLAGH